Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Vacation Crafts

A vacation isn't a vacation unless we go to the beach.... I love the sea, sand, sunshine and shells.  I rarely leave without a pocketful.  When I get home, I wash and store them carefully in a shoebox.  I've been collecting shells for over 60 years and love to create with them, but more often than not, I end up using special shells from the craft store.  One day I'll make a Sailor's Valentine with my collection, but doubt that will be any time soon.

Here's one of my recent projects that hangs in my craft room.



It is really quick'n EZ to make.  I cut a piece of Smoothfoam™ the same size as the 5"x7", wood laser frame purchased at Michaels then, using a sponge brush, I painted it with light brown acrylic paint.  I used Smoothfoam because its smooth surface is easy to paint without any kind of prep and it's lightweight.

The laser frame was painted white.  I wanted to feature the Helmet starfish at the center, but needed some kind of backing.  Spring cleaning to the rescue.... I had saved an old dictionary, so I tore out the page with the definition of "Starfish" and trimmed it to fit the frame opening.  It was then glued to the center of the painted Smoothfoam and the frame glued on top.  I glued the starfish to the center and a few sea pearls to the frame to finish.  It only took about an hour, including drying time.  Now I don't feel so bad when I look up and see stars......  LOL

You can find more projects on the Smoothfoam blog.  Enjoy!  Y'all come back now........

Yours truly,
Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!


No comments:

Post a Comment