Sunday, July 6, 2014

Party Decorations!

It's First Monday and the Designer Crafts Connection theme for July is Party Decorations!


Who doesn't love to party!!!!  Especially kids.  As as child of the 50's, in England, I remember birthday parties being lots of fun.  We had balloons and party hats and, of course, a cake, but didn't decorate to the extent we do now.  In fact, I don't really remember decorating a whole lot for my kids in the 70's and 80's.  Oh goodness, they were so deprived........ LOL     The grandkids on the other hand........ oh my, we've had birthday party themes since they were one year old!


My granddaughter turned 6 last month and the theme for her birthday party was "Frozen" - go figure, we live in Texas.  Would have loved to have rented a snow blower, but that was going a bit too far.  Inside decorations were awesome, my daughter created color coordinated snacks, but I got the easy part and my granddaughter helped.  We covered the top of small Smoothfoam snowflakes with DecoArt® Clear Craft Twinkles paint then sprinkled them with clear glitter - can't have too much sparkle.  We put them on the wall with a simple glue dot, stuck them on the front of silver candle sticks and placed them on the table as mats for "crystal" wine flutes filled with the color coordinated candy.


 I also used my Cricut Explore to cut lots of snowflakes from clear crystal glitter card stock and blue glitter card stock.  I glued them back to back onto thin strands of silver sparkly yarn hung from the light fixture over the table.  I use yarn a lot for things like this.  It doesn't kink, it's strong, comes in all kinds of colors and textures and, best of all, it's economical - try it next time you want to string a garland.

 

My grandson's First birthday party theme was all about monkeys.  We made a balloon wreath for the front door with a garland and monkey, cut from card stock, plus we printed bottle wraps, banners, cupcake toppers, garlands and more.  Love this little bunting on his smash cake - something else my kids never got to enjoy......... hadn't been invented then... LOL


 


We even had a monkey face mask craft for the older brothers and sisters to make. 



It's amazing what we do for our kids these days.........  do they expect it, or are we just putting our talents to good use?  The latter I think...   There are so many opportunities to be put our creativity to the test:  Birthdays, weddings, showers, holidays and just because we can....  even something simple like these glass bottles with a little burlap and jute can add a little pizazz to a dinner, or lunch table.


I found the bottles at the craft store, wrapped jute around the neck and tied the ends in a bow, then bundled 3 Gerber daisy stems into a 6" square of burlap and pushed them into the bottle.  They looked so pretty outside on the the patio table.  I had one for each place setting and let each of the ladies take one home.  I love the burlap accent - it's my "go to" embellishment this year for sure.  If you like it too, check back here on Sunday, July 13th for more Burlap inspiration during the Designer Crafts Connection Burlap blog hop!  Enjoy!  Y'all come back now........

Yours truly,
 Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/08/2014

    Love all your party decorations! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete